Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Childhood Memories

It's was about 3:30am and I am jolted awake. My heart was racing, and my breathing labored. I was ready to run downstairs to stop the fighting, to protect Mommy, to stop the crying, but then I realized it was just a dream.....a nightmare. The dream was so real. I felt like I was back in my old room, but back then, I never ran downstairs, never stopped the fighting. I lay huddled in my bed, scared, crying, trying to block out the yelling, the hitting, glass breaking, praying to God to stop the fighting, praying for Him to protect mommy. Finally, it would be quiet, and I would drift off to sleep. The next morning, I would wonder if I had dreamt it all. There was no broken glass, no evidence of a fight, but then I would notice a bruise on her, and know that I was not dreaming.

The fighting eventually stopped, and I feel in my heart that all was forgiven. Mommy loved Daddy and I know Daddy was sorry, for the pain he caused. We all make mistakes, we all do things we regret, but I know deep down they loved each other. Until the day Daddy died, he had pictures of Mommy up. I know he thought about her everyday. He never stopped loving her, and today they are buried together, never to be apart again.

I lay awake last night for over an hour, just thinking about my childhood and my life now. I have been very blessed and as I thought of all my blessings, I curled up next to Fonzy and slowly drifted back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment