Monday, September 15, 2008

Red beans and rice didn't miss her!

Since school has started back and fall on it's way, I've been searching for recipes to use my crockpot more. I can't say it enough, there is nothing better than coming home from a hard days work and smelling something delicious when you walk through the door. It's like having a chef...or maybe not. I found this recipe for Louisiana red beans and rice and couldn't wait to taste it. I've had some really good red beans and rice, and I was hoping this would taste just as good.

soaking the beans over night

in the am...browning the sausage

sauteing the onion, peppers and garlic

you can't have Louisiana recipes without the original Creole seasoning
(ignore the chipped nail polish)





mixing it all up

set on low, and out the door to work


Verdict: I really didn't like this recipe. I've made my own red beans and it tasted a lot better. I think I will stick with mine, but if you want to try this recipe out, here it is.

====================================

Authentic, No Shortcuts, Louisiana Red Beans and Rice

Prep Time: 20 MinutesCook Time: 8 Hours
Ready In: 8 Hours 20 MinutesYields: 8 servings

"This is my take on a Louisiana classic. No shortcuts! Put everything into the slow cooker in the morning and you will have your meal ready in the late afternoon or evening, whenever you are ready. This recipe will feed a lot of people."

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound dried red beans,
soaked overnight
10 cups water
1 pound andouille sausage,
sliced into rounds
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and
chopped (optional)
8 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon ground black
pepper
1 teaspoon Creole seasoning,
or to taste
6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 ham hock
4 cups cooked rice

DIRECTIONS:
1.
Place the beans and water into a slow cooker. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the sausage in the skillet; remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon and transfer to the slow cooker. Reserve drippings. Add onion, green pepper, jalapeno pepper and garlic to the drippings; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer everything from the skillet to the slow cooker.
2.
Season the mixture with pepper and Creole seasoning. Add the fresh basil leaves and ham hock. Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours, or until beans are tender. If the bean mixture seems too watery, take the lid off the slow cooker and set heat to High to cook until they reach a creamy texture.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com

2 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks so good it made me hungry, lol. I'm on my way to the kitchen now to eat something. Thanks for sharing, very nice pictures!!

    ReplyDelete