Thursday, September 25, 2008

No animals


Cody

So I mentioned that I am a Big Sister, with the Big Brother Big Sister program. I'm mentoring a 12 year old girl. I've been trying to decide what we could do together. As you all know, I am Mami to four boys, so I don't get to do too many girlie things, so I figured being a volunteer with this program, I could have a young girl to do things with and maybe make a difference in her life as well. Our first outing we went out to dinner to get to know one another. My Lil' Sis is very talkative. I like that about her. She likes crafts, notebooks and purple pens! I love purple pens! That was just a few things she mentioned. I have a scrapbook kit that I've had for about 2yrs and have yet to start. I figured this could be something for us to do together. I want to make this fun for her. I want her to experience new things, as do I.

Well, yesterday I decided to take my Lil' Sis horseback riding. She said she had never been, and had only seen a horse once, but didn't get too close because she said it was too big. My sister-in law has a horse, Cody, who is not really big and is gentle. I thought it would be fun. Well, we get to the barn and Lil' Sis is looking kind of scared. I tried to reassure her that it was ok, the horse was not going to harm her, and if she didn't want to ride him that was ok. She DID NOT want to ride, she didn't even want to be close to the horse. Once Vicky got the horse and walked him to us, my Lil Sis had tears in her eyes. I felt so bad. I held her hand, and told her it was ok, the horse would not hurt her. Lil' Sis hid behind me, terrified. Vicky and I finally got her to pet Cody a few times, but she was not thrilled at all. So much for experiencing new things. I have found out that she does not like animals, no dogs, no cats, no horses, not even fish, I asked her. So no more animal outings. She does however like golf. I'm myself am not too fond of golf, but hey, I wanted to do new things, so there you have it.

On our drive to ride Cody, we saw buffalo. Yeah, someone in NC decided they wanted some buffalo. To eat maybe??? Who knows. I stopped to take some pictures and of course my Lil' Sis stayed way back. The fence around the buffalo was no comfort to her.

I told her at least she could go to school on Friday and tell her friends she saw buffalo.


No comments:

Post a Comment