Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Bourbon Mango Pulled Pork

With cooler weather right around the corner, it's time to break out the crock pot. Anyone who knows me, knows I am not fond of cooking.at.all. But cooking is not so bad when you use the crock pot. I throw the ingredients in the crock pot before work and viola, you come home to a great smelling house, and dinner done!

This past weekend, I printed out a bunch of crock pot recipes, hit Walmart to pick up all the ingredients, spent waaaaaaay too much money, but was ready for a week of crock pot meals. The first meal I made was a chicken in mushroom sauce. Didn't go over so well. Fonzy and the boys did not like it. It had white wine in the recipe and I think the taste kinda threw them off. Tonight was bourbon mango pulled pork.

the ingredients

Here's the roast after it cooked all day...doesn't look that great, but it smelled so good!

mangos....all pureed

pour the mangos in a pot. I know my pot looks pretty raggedy, but those are the ones that cook the best.

add all the other ingredients according to the recipe below.


Now for the bourbon. Yeah, it's the cheap stuff. I don't drink, so I had no clue what kind of whiskey to get. I was told Jim Bean was the best, but guess what...I wasn't spending alot of money on the good stuff when I was just cooking with it. Whiskey is whiskey to me.





Once I took the roast out of the crock pot, it fell right apart....it was so tender.


Mmmmmmmmmm.....pulled pork sandwiches. They were really good, even the boys liked it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bourbon-Mango Pulled Pork
Prep Time: 20 Minutes


Cook Time: 6 Hours
Ready In: 6 Hours 20 Minutes

Yields: 10 servings

"Spicy, smoky, and sweet. This is the perfect addition to that crusty roll you've been trying to figure out a sandwich filling for!"

INGREDIENTS:
2 mangos
1 (4 pound) pork shoulder roast
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 cups water

1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
2 teaspoons honey
1 (1.5 fluid ounce) jigger bourbon whiskey
2 (12 ounce) bottles barbeque sauce
DIRECTIONS:
1.
Peel the mangos and remove the pits. Place the pits into a slow cooker, then roughly chop the mango and set aside. Place the pork shoulder into the slow cooker, and season with the black pepper, kosher salt, and 1 teaspoon chipotle powder; pour in the balsamic vinegar and water.
2.
Cover, and cook on Low 5 to 8 hours until the meat is very tender. Once done, drain the pork, discarding the cooking liquid and mango pits, and shred with two forks.
3.
While the pork is cooking, puree the chopped mango in a blender until smooth, then pour into a saucepan along with the honey, 1 teaspoon chipotle powder, and whiskey. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring frequently until the mango has reduced and darkened slightly, about 10 minutes. Stir in the barbeque sauce, and remove from the heat.
4.
Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker, and stir in the mango barbeque sauce. Cover, and cook on High 1 to 2 hours until the pork absorbs the barbeque sauce.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm over here drooling all on my keyboard.

    I didn't grow up eating pork because my Mom has a no pork rule, so I don't know the first thing about cooking it. Any pork I've ever eaten, besides bacon, has always been prepared for me by someone else. *Sorry Mom, Aunties used to sneak me ham on the holidays. LOL* I think I'll give this one a try - I lurve crockpot recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad people are enjoying this recipe. Thanks for sharing such a great review of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete