Monday, July 20, 2009

Mom, Wife, Sister, Aunt, Friend and......

I’m many things, a mom, a wife, a sister, an aunt, a friend, and soon, I will add another name….Grandma. Manuel, my now oldest son, is having a baby. When the baby is born he will be 19, the same age I was when I had him. I can’t say that I was shocked when I got the news. I met his girlfriend Andrea, when I was in TX for Samuel’s funeral. She basically lives with Manuel and his Dad, so I knew it was only a matter of time. Manuel is not ready for a baby. He doesn’t even have his life together, but I’m hoping this baby will motivate him to get it together. He needs to finish school, and hopefully aspire to more than a job at a fast food place. As I sit and type this, I realize that’s exactly where I was….18, pregnant with Samuel and working at McDonalds. I think we all turned out OK, and I pray it will for Manuel and Andrea. It’s not going to be an easy road. Manuel is already seeing that. Andrea has been having a rough time with morning sickness, and this is just the beginning. He’s nervous about being a Dad, and who wouldn’t be at 18. I look at pictures of him, and can’t believe he’s going to be a Dad. He’s just a kid himself. But so was I when I had Samuel.

Manuel and Andrea want a boy, and said they want to name him Samuel. I knew that would be his name. I’m secretly hoping for a girl. I had all boys and would love to have a Granddaughter to spoil. People may think I'm crazy, but I’m excited. I feel I’m too young (I will be 39 when the baby is born) to be a Grandma, and I surely don’t feel like a Grandma, but I’m going to wear the title proudly, because this baby is a blessing, especially after losing Samuel.

grandbaby
first pic of Grandbaby - sent via cellphone

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!! I hope you get your wish and it's a girl ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats!!!!!!

    can't wait to hear more!

    we were 17 when our daughter was born!

    they will be just fine :)

    ReplyDelete