Sunday, February 19, 2017

A Puerto Rican County Girl

DSC_0227_2 DSC_0233_2 DSC_0250_3I grew up in Dunkirk NY, the westernmost city in New York, right on Lake Erie. Dunkirk and the surrounding areas have miles and miles of farms and vineyards. It’s a very rural area. At 16 I moved to Texas and people would ask where I was from. I would say New York and they automatically assumed NYC. Sometimes I corrected them, sometimes not. I wanted to be that Nuyorican from NYC. I told everyone in Texas they were country and I was oh so citified. I have never even been to NYC, even though I was born and raised in New York. I still have a fascination with NYC and it's on my bucket list to visit but I've come to terms with who I really am. A Puerto Rican country girl! Give me wide open spaces, a big red barn, vegetable garden, flower beds, some chickens rooting around, a big front porch with rocking chairs and I will happily sip my morning coffee and enjoy the country life. Or - give me a house on the beach. Either will do!

No comments:

Post a Comment