Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mom....I think I'm in love

I got a call from Manuel yesterday. We chit chatted for a while, then he said he called to tell me something. My heart stopped. I hate to admit, the first thing that came to mind was he got in trouble somehow or he got someone pregnant. Two things that are not good for a 17yr old. Then he said this....

"Mom, I think I'm in love"

Phew....I could breathe easy. I'm not going to be Grandma yet. Have you noticed that Grandmas are getting younger and younger?

Anyway before Manuel moved here with me,(he was with his Dad in TX) he said he had a girlfriend in Junior High, Nicole. Well, when he moved here to NC, they sort of lost touch. He was here with me for almost 3yrs, then this past December he moved back with his dad. He is working at McDonald's and guess who was working there too, Nicole. He said they started talking again and he thinks he's in love. She's 16. Now I remember when I was 16 and thought I was in love. You feel you will never love anyone as much as your first love. You think you can't live without that person. It's all consuming. I asked if her parents knew about them dating and he said her Mom knows, but not her Dad. Yep, been there, except neither of my parents knew. My mom was losing her battle with cancer and Daddy was trying to keep our lives together. I told Manuel he needed to make sure he didn't do anything to get himself or Nicole in trouble. She should let her dad know she was seeing him and he needed to be a man, and meet her Dad, talk to him...be respectful. I let him know her Dad would respect him more for that. There should be no sneaking around. He said he was going to talk to him. Then I told him he better respect Nicole also and don't break her heart. He said he would never do that. He went on to say how beautiful she was and how he really thought he was in love. He said if anything, she would be the one to break his heart. If that happened, he would be calling me crying like a baby. I hate to say it, but at such a young age, a broken heart is to be expected. Not many people stay with their first loves. Of course, I didn't tell him that. My final words of advice....abstinence! No sex until you are married. I am too young to be a Grandma! Of course I'm sure that went in one ear and out the other.

6 comments:

  1. I actually met DH in HS. We started dating when we were 15! So I know all about that. Who knows if they will have the same future? So sweet though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jai, so glad you stopped by! Awwww, you are one of the few who stayed with their first love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwwwwww.....how sweet. He's in love. I think it's a beautiful thing that he can even come to you and tell you that he's in love. That speaks volumes on your relationship with your son. Be proud! :)

    Me and the hubs met in high school (cue the crazy living color couple) and we still together! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. So two people who stayed with their first loves. I guess I need to meet this girl, may be my daughter in law.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi..........well this is nicole...im really nervous..dumb i know haha!!!but i just want u to know that i will never ever hurt your son. and i really like him...he is nothing like all this little boys who dont have a future...he is probably the only guy who has EVER had respect for me....i know he loves me because he is REALLY trying 2 get into school again...i think its soo crazy how we got back together...but im glad we did!!!:) i really do think im in love with your son....i have never liked anyone as much as i like him!!!well i cant wait to meet you and your kids and your husband!!!! CON MUNCHO AMOR NICOLE!!!!WITH LOTS OF MEEEEEE!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicole...I'm so glad to hear from you. I think you are what Manuel needed to get back on the right track. I'm glad you are there to support him. I look forward to the day we can meet.

    By the way, I got your picture and Manuel couldn't of picked a more beautiful young lady :)

    ReplyDelete