Monday, April 6, 2015

Interactions and Community

doll pieces doll pieces_2 littlehousedoll IMG_7169 bonnett apron dress and bloomers
I've been blogging since 2007.

I use to blog all the time, but have lost my blogging mojo these last couple of years. I've been wanting to get back into blogging, but every time I try, I feel forced and the words just don't come. I came across A Playful Day's blog challenge - The Love Your Blog Challenge and decided to give it a try. I want to love my blog again. So here it goes!

This weeks prompt is all about Interactions and Community. And that is what I loved about blogging. The community I built, and friends I made while on this journey. Blogging helped me during the hardest time of my life. The death of my oldest son. Through my blog, I was able to pour out my heart and find other Moms who were going through the same heartache as I. Our children did not die from sickness or accident, but by murder. The death of a child is devastating, but losing a child to murder.....it's the worst.

Trying to maintain after his death, I found my love of knitting. My mom taught me to knit as a child. I knit one thing, a stuffed horse, and never knit again. After the death of my son, how he died consumed my mind. If I wasn't moving, or doing something my mind would drift to his death, the way he died and the horror of it all, so I always had to be doing something. And knitting became that something. As long as I was knitting, reading patterns, learning something new, my mind was off his death. And slowly, but surely I wasn't focused so much on how my son died, but on the happy times, and along the way became a better knitter. And found my love of knitting dolls!

Blogging, knitting, community building! It's all here.

~ For The Love Your Blog Challenge with Kate of A Playful Day.

~ pictures - clothes for my newest doll, Holly Hobbie and Little House on the Prairie inspired. 

12 comments:

  1. I have no idea how on earth one would begin to get over something like that - I don't suppose you ever can. Your photos are beautiful and it is inspiring to see that you are able to find some comfort in knitting and your community. This is an incredibly thought provoking post - thank you for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I clicked on your link through aplayfulday, instantly fell in love with the blog layout and gorgeous pictures, and then read about your son. I'm sorry. With every day that dawns, I hope you are finding at least a little more strength than what the previous day gave you. Wishing you lots of love and peace for each day. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many gentle hugs and lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holding out my hands... I'm so sorry about your son and cannot imagine how it must feel. I'm glad that your beautiful work has brought you some comfort. Thank you for sharing your story. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brave and inspirtional lady you are. I lost a child which was hard - incredibly hard, but for you to lose him in the way in which you did I cannot even begin to imagine. My love and support to you. Keep blogging, we are here to listen and support! Hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart breaks reading this post... you are a true inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think knitting and similar pursuits have gotten a lot of people through a lot of difficult times. It's an amazing gift, as is the community that comes from it. We've all got such different experiences, but knitters really are the best people. Good luck with continuing to knit and blog - you really are providing inspiration and beauty for your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Words can't express how my heart goes out to you right now. How wonderful that you were able to have a community to help you through the most difficult time and here's to continuing to manage with this group you've created. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's taken me a couple of tries over a couple of days to find the right words. Your story is heart- rending, I am in awe of your courage, writing about Samuel's murder and how knitting has sustained you.
    Writing about what you've been through is so important not just to you, it serves as a pathway for others who may find themselves facing what you have so bravely written about

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have spent the early evening with your words of Samuel, and yarn. I do not know your exact pain, but I stand in solidarity at the heartbreak of losing our sons at the brink of their adult lives. I am humbled, inspired, and in awe of your words and path, and so thankful to have found you in this strange and wonderful online world. xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have spent the early evening with your words of Samuel, and yarn. I do not know your exact pain, but I stand in solidarity at the heartbreak of losing our sons at the brink of their adult lives. I am humbled, inspired, and in awe of your words and path, and so thankful to have found you in this strange and wonderful online world. xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have spent the early evening with your words of Samuel, and yarn. I do not know your exact pain, but I stand in solidarity at the heartbreak of losing our sons at the brink of their adult lives. I am humbled, inspired, and in awe of your words and path, and so thankful to have found you in this strange and wonderful online world. xox

    ReplyDelete