Monday, January 15, 2018

Snail Mail and Rainbows

snailmail2 IMG_7928 snailmail_homes rainbow sweater2 rainbow sweater3 “To be creative means to be in love with life. You can be creative only if you love life enough that you want to enhance its beauty, you want to bring a little more music to it, a little more poetry to it, a little more dance to it.” ― Osho

"You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ― Maya Angelou

"Creativity is the way I share my soul with the world." - Brene Brown

I wouldn't call myself an artist. I can't really draw, I'm not a painter, but I love being creative. Give me some paint, colored pencils ( I prefer colored pencils) and I'm like a kid in a candy store! I guess that's why I've been drawn to mail art. As a kid, I was a letter writer. I had pen pals, cousins and my auntie in Tennessee that I would write. I'd pour my heart out on a piece of paper, get a plain white envelope, address and stamp it, and send a piece of my soul out into the world. I've loved writing letters again, but the art part has made it that much funner. Is funner even a word? I don't think so, but I'm sticking to it.

I have a box filled with stationary, stickers, paint, colored pencils, and a collection of mail art templates from Naomi Bulger at https://www.naomiloves.com/  She sends out a monthly newsletter with envelope art you can print, color or paint. My inner child does a happy dance whenever I pull out the box. I still write to my auntie in Tennessee, old friends and new. Sure, I could text or email. It would definitely be faster, but writing a letter slows you down and you put more of yourself into a letter than you would a text. I just wrote a letter to a friend I made on Instagram and it was 3 pages long! We've never met in person, but we connected in those little squares and now write to each other. I love getting her letters. Letters are tiny pieces of a person, that even after they are gone you still have. It's a tangible part of them. They took the time out of their day and thought only of you as they wrote. Their hands touched the paper you now hold. You can reread the letters and that loved one or friend is right there with you again. Not the same with a text or an email.

I plan on sending letters to my grandbabies. They are old enough now to read the letters and if I'm lucky they may write back. It doesn't take much to write a letter and bring a little happiness to the person who receives it. I have yet to find a person who doesn't like to receive letters in the mail. How about you?

***********************************

I had to share my rainbow sweater. Since I've taken these pictures, I've knitted more. The body is almost done! I'm not sure I'll get it done before my birthday next week, but I've been happily knitting along and can't wait to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment