Saturday, February 4, 2017

6/52 - Self Portraits in Black and White

DSC_0464_3  The morning hair struggle is REAL!

When I was in middle school, my hair was short. I'm not sure if it was because I wanted it short, or because my Mom got tired of doing it. I have always been tender-headed and getting my hair done was pure torture! I remember one day, sitting in class and some kids were making fun of my hair. Saying it was so short and I looked like a boy and was ugly. I remember that day clearly. Tears welled up in my eyes and I hated my hair! I wanted so bad for it to be long.

My hair grew back, but when Halle Berry's short hair became popular, I cut my hair like hers. The kids in middle school taunting me came to mind, but I don't recall hating my hair then.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with my hair. I've wanted it curly, then bone straight, thinner, a lighter color, maybe even red. I was never quite satisfied. But now, I actually love my hair. Yes, it takes a long time to do, yes sometimes it's a hot mess, but that's ok. I don't plan on cutting it short ever again.

My Grandmother would always quote the Bible saying a women's hair is her crowning glory and should never be cut. She would be so happy with it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment