Thursday, December 1, 2016

Thanksgiving at the Outer Banks, NC - Part 2

IMG_8469_2 Morning coffee with Titus.

I was going to have 2 more posts of Thanksgiving, but decided since it's December 1, I'm over Thanksgiving, so cramming all the pictures I can in this one post.

Friday morning we all headed to the beach for a bit. Some of us were still in PJ's. We were on vacation, no need to hurry and get dressed! I'm sure I got a few strange looks though as I ran down the beach with Titus in my Hello Kitty pjs!
IMG_1473 IMG_1491 running on beach IMG_1526 IMG_1477_2
After our morning on the beach, Jay, Vicky and I took the kids fishing. This was the main reason Elijah wanted to go on the trip was to fish. Unfortunately, he didn't catch a fish! It was freezing on the pier, with the wind whipping! We held out as long as we could in hopes he would catch one, but no such luck. TJ had given up at one point, but decided to try again and caught one. Jaylan didn't want to fish at all, but a lady next to us catching all the fish said she was tired of reeling them in, so let Jaylan reel it in for her. So technically he got a fish too. Jay caught a flounder, and was about to toss it back in when a guy ran down the pier and asked if he could have it. Said he was catching dinner for his family. Enjoy!
 
DSC_0100 DSC_0079 DSC_0091 IMG_8534 DSC_0111 IMG_8552 IMG_8536 fish collage
We planned to visit all the lighthouses on Saturday, and it was the worst day weather wise. It was cold, windy and rainy! Worst day for sightseeing, but we headed out anyways. The first lighthouse we visited was Bodie Island Lighthouse. I always pictured lighthouses right on the edge of the ocean, with waves crashing beside it. This was not the case. The other lighthouse we visited was Currituck. It was in the woods! Not what I pictured at all. It was so cold and windy, we decided against going to Hatteras, especially when we found out they are closed until April 1 and we couldn't even go up in it. So much for visiting all the lighthouses. As the day went on, the rain stopped and it cleared up, but it was still so cold!

What I was most excited about seeing was the Rodanthe Inn, the house from the movie, Nights in Rodanthe. I think Karen and I were the only ones excited. We were the only ones who got out of the car to see it and take pictures. Everyone else waited in their cars, then rushed us to hurry up! In the movie, the house is right on the beach in the water, but it had to be moved back to preserve it. You can check out this post here to see when they moved and renovated the house. I want to see the movie again since I've been to the actual house, so ordered it from Walmart. Should be here tomorrow. I can't wait to see it.

DSC_0134_2 DSC_0132 DSC_0139 IMG_8608 Rodanthe Inn FullSizeRender (3) Last evening/sunset before we went home Sunday morning.

I'm glad we did something different this year. There's nothing better than being with the ones you love. Everyone is getting older, our kids are growing up and will soon be having Thanksgivings with their families. Who knows what next year will bring. Heck, who knows what tomorrow will bring, so moments like these are cherished memories we will always have.

No comments:

Post a Comment