Monday, May 5, 2008

Thoughts on Nursing....

I'm getting use to my role as an administrative assistant again, but want so much to be a nurse already. I've been reading blogs of nurses and I'm just ready to start school, graduate and get to work. I think I'm leaning more towards Labor and Delivery than working with cancer patients. I recently read a book called Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent, and I started thinking about being a nurse or midwife, but like I said before, I was so comfortable in my job, that I never really took my thoughts seriously. I've always enjoyed watching Babies: Special Delivery on Discovery Health, and would daydream about being a nurse or OB Doctor delivering babies, how exciting it would be, but it was just daydreaming. I never thought I could actually do it. But I think being layed off gave me the push I needed. I know it's going to be hard work, long hours and many challenges, but I'm ready. I'm ready for a change, I'm ready for the challenge. Sometimes when I get to thinking about this huge change I'm about to make in my life, I feel maybe I'm too old (37) to take on nursing school and being an RN. I've been in an office setting for so long, I wonder if my older body is going to be able to handle being on my feet all day, and the demands of the job. Then I start thinking about all the chemistry and biology classes and all I have to learn. I was a CNA many, many years ago, but that is nothing compared to being a nurse. There is so much to learn. But I can't explain how determined I am to do this. I've had a lot of people ask me if I'm sure this is what I want, or say they can't see me as a nurse, and it gets me to wondering. Why can they not see me as a nurse? I know when I was a nurses aide, I really did not want to be a nurse. I was in my early twenties, and not really sure about alot back then. But I feel I'm older, wiser and know myself more than I did then. I really want this and feel I would make a great nurse. Yeah, I sometimes have my doubts, but I really feel this is it. I just pray I can get into the nursing program. It's very competitive, so I will be studying like crazy and probably not getting a lot of sleep, which will be hard for me, but again, I am determined. I wish I could start already.

1 comment: