Monday, November 26, 2007

Why Mami Dearest

I’ve had a few people ask why Mami (pronounced Mommy) Dearest for the title of my blog. I got it from the movie Mommy Dearest, about Joan Crawford and her adopted daughter Christina, with the notorious “no more wire hangers” scene.

“Joan stalks into Christina's bedroom in the middle of the night, her face covered with beauty cream ,and discovers one of the child's dresses hanging on a wire hanger. Joan launches into a frightening tirade, screaming at the girl that she had forbidden wire hangers, viciously tearing apart her closet, and then beating the girl with the hanger. The fight continues when Crawford stumbles into Christina's bathroom and feels that she has not obeyed her orders to scrub the floor that day. Furious that the child doesn't understand her notion of cleanliness, Joan destroys the bathroom as well, beating Christina with two cans of scouring powder and hurling the cleanser over everything. Finally she leaves the girl with an angry order to "clean up this mess" all by herself.”

Couldn’t forget this…..

Joan Crawford: Did you scrub the bathroom floor today? DID YOU?
Christina Crawford: Yes, Mommie.
Joan Crawford: Yes, Mommie what?
Christina Crawford: Yes, Mommie Dearest.
Joan Crawford: When I told you to call me that, I wanted you to mean it.

Now…I’m not saying I beat my kids with wire hangers or comet cans, but I have been known to yell a lot, give out whoppings when needed and wear a green mask to bed. I may have even been TEMPTED to throw comet all over the bathroom, and have them clean it up. So maybe that’s why my kids have called me Mami Dearest on occasion….hence the title of my blog.

1 comment:

  1. I think your name is unique. Also, I loved that movie when I was a little girl..

    ReplyDelete