Monday, November 1, 2010

halloween recap and memories

the boys
They dressed up, knocked on doors, said "trick or treat" and got lots of candy.

Memories of 2 other little boys who trick or treated were swirling in my head, the sets seemed to merge together as one, making it hard to distinguish between the two. I called out one sons name to tell him to wait for me, slow down - but it wasn't the right one. The one I called is no longer here.

I thought of Manuel, now a Daddy, and wondered if he was out trick or treating with his little girl, thinking of the little boy he once was, trick or treating with his brother. Precious memories.

No matter how much we try or wish - time stands still for no one. Soon these two will be grown, no longer little enough to trick or treat, just like the two before them. I'm not ready for that. I want to hold on to these times, the here and now with a tightly clutched fist and pray for time to slow down - for childhood to last just a little bit longer.

the boys

No comments:

Post a Comment