Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Knitting

Today during lunch I decided to check out Joanne Fabrics for a new knitting project. I'm still working on my scarf, but ready to start something new. I've gone to the library and have a ton of books with patterns....sweaters, socks, halter tops, bags. They are all so cute. I even got a book for men's patterns, to make something for Fonzy. I have a long way to go, but I'm really excited about it. My new project though is going to be a chemo cap. I was searching online for charities for knitters and came across it. A mother started knitting caps for her daughter who had cancer, but unfortunately passed away. As we all know, one of the side effects of cancer is losing your hair. So she came up with this idea.
"The caps are made so that cancer patients who lose their hair can have a very soft hand-knit cap to call their own, comforting their heads and their souls."
~taken from chemocaps
Since my mom was a chemo patient and hated wearing her wig, I thought this was a great idea. I want to start my own chemo cap charity. We have so many hospitals in this area, and I know the need is here. Any caps I knit, I'm going to include a little card that says "In loving memory of Ida Jackson" - that was my mom, a prior chemo patient and knitter.
So off to Joanne Fabrics to find what I needed for my first chemo cap. I have a knitting meetup tonight and wanted to have my materials so I can have one of the ladies teach me the different stitches, etc I need to learn for my caps. Can you say confused! Oh my gosh, I didn't think it would be so hard to figure out the needles I needed, the yarn I wanted. I ended up asking another customer who was in knitting section with me. She helped me out with the needles and other things I would need, since she was working on a baby hat. Then I had to decide on the color. That took me forever! I just couldn't decide what I wanted. This first cap is just practice, so I'm sure I won't give it to anyone, but it was still hard to decide. I ended up picking out a pink yarn I liked. Pink being my favorite color and all. I'm excited to see how it's going to turn out.

I wasn't really feeling any of the yarn. I think I need to go to a yarn shop. I'm sure they would have more variety.


So many different needles - I was confused!


Finally settled on pink, my favorite color.

***all pictures taken with my blackberry

No comments:

Post a Comment