Friday, April 11, 2008

Downsized

I was layed off from my job yesterday. I was not expecting it. My manager sent me an e-mail stating I needed to go for training at one of our local offices and when I showed up, I was told due to a reorg and budget cuts I was one of several managers being let go effective immediately, as in give me your keys, badge, passwords and someone will clean out your office for you, and yeah, it was nice working with you.

I worked in corporate America, where you are always on pins and needles. You hear about lay-offs all the time and you just pray not to be next. Unfortunately, my time came. I've been trying not to worry, and Fonzy keeps telling me there is no need to worry. We've been through hard times before and God always sees us through. I know He will provide for us, and I'm trying really hard not to worry, but it seems we finally get ahead and things are going ok and wham!

You know, as I sit and think about this whole situation, I realize I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Yeah, I really liked my job, the pay was OK, I had a lot of flexibility and the work wasn't hard. I managed administrative assistants. But I would sometimes feel like I wasn't doing anything that made a difference in people's lives. Fonzy is in school to become a teacher and he eventually wants to become a principal. He graduates next month and should be teaching come fall. Teachers make a difference. He is great with kids, and he can relate to the young minority males who are struggling in this world. He's going to be a great teacher.

When I was in college in my early twenties, I wanted to be a counselor. My friends always came to be with their problems and issues, and I would talk to them, encourage them, support them any way I could. I was good at that, and feel I still am. I never got my degree in Human Services. Years later, after being in the corporate world, I decided to go back to school and get a business degree. I went for a year and never finished. So now I have a bunch of college credits, and no degree. This is my chance to start fresh, really figure out what I want, but I have to decide quick, because we need my income. I'm thinking of taking another job in the corporate world, just to ensure we have the income we need, but do I really want that? I've often thought of working with teenage mothers(since I was one myself) or maybe battered women. I could see myself doing something like that, helping other people.....not just working in corporate America, where all they care about is the mighty dollar.

I want to make a difference....

8 comments:

  1. That is awful girl.. I am so sorry.. You'll find something that you will love, don't worry.. Everything will work out in the end. Trust your instincts.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa...I know it will all work. I will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you would have added that you were 5months pregnant at the time, then you would have been talking EXACTLY about my life and what happened to me at my last job.

    They waited until 15 minutes before the end of the day to call me in and ask for keys, etc..

    YEAH like that! Ugh. I found my dignity outside in the car while I WAILED like a baby.

    Don't worry my dear, when ONE door closes, ANOTHER will open for you.

    Keep your mind, hear and soul OPEN to what GOD is trying to tell you.

    Hugs to you and I am wishing only the best for you and your family. You are making a difference, already.........You're an amazing wife and mother. It will all work out even though you feel like cutting tires at the old job and all ;)

    HUGS!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tanyetta...you always bring a smile to my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Isaida, as you know, this is the first time I've responded to your blog (that's b/c I knew I could talk to you anytime at work!) Like I told you before, pray and wait to see what happens. God will do the providing! Just keep thanking him for everything...believe and have faith! I love you and miss you already. Don't worry, I will be calling you soon! :-)
    Veronica Davis

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Being given the boot usually leads to a boost" or something like that. When you look back a couple of years from now this might be one of the best things that's ever happened to you. This might be your opportunity to reinvent yourself!
    But they were cold to do you like that..uggh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, well, well... I remember when we met 8 years ago, a friendship for life evolved. You've always kept me going after leaving Raleigh and moving on to Atlanta to my two boys. I was afraid of leaving certain for uncertain but “Family comes 1st. I have been out of a job now for 7 months now and “boy, is it kicking my bottom”. Keep your head up! If you remember you’ve been there and done that and came back stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just checking on you to see how everything is going. Hope you're enjoying more time with your beautiful family and all is well.

    ReplyDelete